Antique Silver Icon of Mother of God Kiev. We date this icon prior to the turn of the century circa 1870-1900. The Icon is hand painted with egg tempera on an oak panel referred to as oklad. The icon was pretty dusty and tarnished when we received it, we lightly cleaned the face and riza. The riza was loose so we removed to see the detail underneath. There appears to be some repaint on the far upper right Saint. There is a small split to the board on the right hand side it has not separated and does not go throught he board. The Halo on the Virgin Mary while a good replacement we do not think original to the piece. I believe it has been replaced as there are two elongated slots under which do not show. The Mother o God is flanked by two Saints the figures in the upper frame are angels. The icon measures 7 1/8 by 8 3/4". We did find a town mark of Kiev within the silver hallmark right of 84=875/1000 silver what we think is Kiev mark to the right there is also another mark which we cannot make out to the right to the silver mark. Refer to photos. This piece came from a WWII colonels estate along with several other quality icons of differing age which we are now listing. This icon notes in the estate pages that it was originally purchased from Christies Auction house in London lot # 385 in the late 1980's.stock item number #07/PG"Kiev-Bratskaya" The Icon of the Mother of God miraculously appeared in the Church of Sts. Boris and Gleb in 1654 in the town of Vishgorod (Kiev Province). In 1662, during Russia's war with Poland (1659 - 1667), the town suffered greatly at the hands of Crimean Tatars allied with the Poles. The Church of the Holy Passion-bearers Boris and Gleb was brought to ruin, and was desecrated. However, by God's Providence the miraculous Icon of the Mother of God and the relics of Sts. Boris and Gleb were spared; the Icon had been timely removed from the church and sent down the Dniepr River, and the relics of the saints had been hidden. The Icon was carried by the river current to the banks of Podol in Kiev, where it was joyously received by the Orthodox and with due honor was taken to the Bratsk Monastery. There it remained over the course of many years. A survey of the Kiev-Bratsk Monastery church property compiled in 1807 included a description of the Icon. There was a "Song of the Miraculous Kiev-Bratskaya Icon of the Mother of God," composed shortly after 1692. The Kiev-Bratskaya Icon of the Mother of God is celebrated on three days each year: September 6, May 10, and June 2. They are all dedicated to the miraculous appearance of the Holy Icon in 1654. The original Icon is no longer extant. A copy exists in the Kiev Monastery of the Protection of the Mother of God.